Furnace ignition lockout is a common problem when your furnace is malfunctioning. Various issues, such as a dirty flame sensor, a malfunctioning thermostat, or a clogged air filter, can cause this problem. This blog post will discuss how to troubleshoot a furnace ignition lockout and how to get professional heating service in Windsor from Affordable heating and cooling.
What Is A Furnace Ignition Lockout?
A furnace ignition lockout is a safety feature that prevents a furnace from continuing to attempt to ignite the gas burner when there is a problem with the ignition system. When the furnace is locked out, it will not turn on and heat the home until the issue is resolved. This feature is designed to prevent dangerous situations such as gas leaks or carbon monoxide buildup.
How Do You Troubleshoot A Furnace Ignition Lockout?
Here are some tips to follow before calling a professional for furnace repair:
- Check The Thermostat: The first step in troubleshooting a furnace ignition lockout is to check the thermostat. Ensure that the thermostat is set to the correct temperature and the fan is set to the “auto” position. If the thermostat is not working properly, it may be causing the furnace to shut down.
- Check The Air Filter: The next step is to check the air filter. A clogged air filter can restrict airflow to the furnace, causing it to shut down. Ensure that the furnace air filter is clean and replace it if necessary.
- Check The Flame Sensor: The flame sensor is a small component near the furnace’s burners to detect the presence of a flame. A dirty flame sensor can prevent the furnace from igniting, causing a lockout. Clean the flame sensor with a wire brush or replace it if necessary.
- Check The Gas Supply: Ensure that the gas supply to the furnace is open and functioning. If the gas supply is shut off or there is a problem with the gas line, the furnace will not be able to ignite.
- Call A Professional: If none of these steps resolves the issue, contact Affordable heating and cooling, the heating service and furnace installation experts in Windsor. We will be able to diagnose and fix the problem, ensuring that your furnace remains in good working condition.
Tips For Preventing Furnace Ignition Lockout
Following these troubleshooting steps and tips, you can help prevent furnace ignition lockout and keep your furnace running smoothly:
- Regularly replace or clean the air filter.
- Schedule regular heating service in Windsor with a licensed HVAC technician.
- Ensure that the thermostat is working efficiently.
- Keep the area near the furnace clean and clutter-free.
A furnace ignition lockout can be a frustrating problem, but following the troubleshooting steps and tips outlined in this blog post can help prevent it and keep your furnace running smoothly. The professionals at Affordable heating and cooling can help you start enjoying a warm and comfortable home this winter.
Call us at (519) 966-9960 today to schedule your heating service in Windsor. Our skilled team can resolve any HVAC issue promptly and effectively.