Protect your investment and your budget with these easy-to-do home maintenance ideas and tips!
- Regularly cleaning or changing your filters (at least every 3 months) will save you money! Your unit will work more efficiently and the air borne dust in your home will be reduced.
- Install a programmable thermostat. When used properly, they can produce real savings!
- Keep the outside of your air conditioning unit clean. Use a hose and clean the unit from the top down. Do not use a power washer.
- Trim back shrubs and bushes at least 2 feet from your air conditioning unit to promote good airflow.
- Keep all vents outside clear and free from snow or debris.
- Run the unit’s blower at all times. Contrary to what you might think, running the blower continues to keep the air temperature evenly distributed. It also keeps the dust down and filters the air 24 hours a day.
- Shut down your humidifier in the summer (if necessary). When your humidifier is running, the humidity level should be set between 40% and 50%.
- Always check your thermostat batteries and panel box breakers (or fuses) prior to calling a service technician.
- In homes with children, install a padlock on the air conditioning disconnect for safety.
Consider investing in an annual service contract to maintain top performance all year. System warranties don’t cover routine maintenance, so save money with a contract…an added bonus is that you won’t forget to schedule an appointment!
Around the home, here are some additional ways to keep your home comfortable year-round!
- Weather-stripping helps make your home more air tight and efficient.
- Insulating your hot water tank pipes with low-cost pipe wrap is quick and easy.
- Curtains and blinds can let heat and light in during the winter and keep the sun out during the summer.
- Use of ceiling fans keeps room temperatures evenly distributed and comfortable.
- Planting of trees offers landscaping beauty while shading windows during the summer and letting the sun in during the winter.